Looking for best tattoo kits? Body art and tattoos are all the rage among people of all ages these days. Attractive patterns and designs in an array of colours, which mean something to those who wear them- the very definition of tattoos itself is beautiful. And that is the reason why many people opt for getting not one, but multiple tattoos on their bodies.
The basic requirement for getting and making tattoos is a good quality tattoo kit, which comes with all the tools needed for making tattoos, including tattoo machines (which are the most important tool in the kit) for lining, colouring, and shading, tattoo needles, tattoo ink in many different colours, and even a power supply for running the machines, ink caps, foot pedals, rubber bands, O-rings, clip cords, and the like.
Having a trustworthy tattoo kit allows you to get working in a tattoo studio as a professional after you have gotten good practice, or even start making tattoos at home. Investing well in your tattoo kit ensures that you get the best quality and that your product is easy to use and control.
Top 10 Best Tattoo Kits
Best Tattoo Kits Reviews For Beginners & Professionals
To help you while you look to buy your ideal tattoo kit, be it for your tattoo studio or for in-house use, we have compiled a list of some of the best products available on the market. We have also included detailed descriptions and the pros-to-cons comparison after every review.
This product is ideal for people who are just starting out as tattoo artists, and who would be better off working with equipment that is rather easy to use. However, they are also perfectly compatible with more experienced professionals.
The machines (4 in number) are easy to work with and tune, with a reliable power supply. They are made of steel and yet remain light in weight, being run by magnetic coils (which is much less noisy). They are ideal for lining and shading.
This kit also comes with premium, pure, easy to apply and sterlisable tattoo ink produced by USA-based brand Radiant Colors. This is what sets this kit apart from other products, which make use of cheaper ink. The fluid is homogenous to provide a solid, bright, long-lasting colour.
The limited edition of the pack also includes a book titled Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo, which is realistic and ideal for any person seeking to get apprenticeship as a tattoo artist.
Each Kit Contains:
1 x Carrying case (Black); 1 x Power Supply (110V/230V); 4 x Tattoo Machines (10 wrap coils); 4 x Tattoo Machine Grips / Barrels; 50 x Sterile Needles (Variety Liner & Shaders); 7 x Tattoo Ink by Radiant Colors (1/2oz bottles); 27 x Disposable tips (nozzles); 8 x Stainless Steel tips (nozzles); 1 x Adjustable Tool Kit; 1 x Tattoo Practice Skin; 1 x Sheet Stencil Transfer Paper; 1 x Disposable Gloves; 1 x Ink Cup Holder; 100 x Ink cups
Ink Colors: 7 ½ Oz bottles in Super White, Lime Green, Scarlet Red, Canary Yellow, Blue, Tiger Orange, and Tribal Black colours.
Product Dimensions: 12.9 x 11.4 x 5.5 inches
Product Weight: 8.9 Pounds
- Easy to tune tattoo machines
- Quality tattoo ink
- Comes with the book Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoos
- Clip cord is fragile
- Power supply can be inconsistent
This product comes complete with coil-based tattoo machines, power supply, tattoo needles, tattoo inks, tattoo grips, foot pedals, and the like, in keeping up with the global fashion. As such, it is fully amiable to being used by amateurs and newbies, as well as by experienced professionals.
The tattoo machines are two in number, and are designed using cast iron, with 20 wrap coils. The spring is highly elastic and made of quality composite material.
The kit also contains 10 premium colours by famous brand Immortal Inks. The power supply contains LED, and comes with a clip cord and foot pedal. This provides quick activation and adjustment of voltage. This ensures reliable and smooth movement. The tattoo needs and tips are fully sterilisable.
Read More: Tattoo Kits for Starter Tattoo Artists
- Product Dimensions: 9.9 x 6.8 x 4.7 inches
- Product Weight: 2.95 Pounds
- Highly elastic springs
- LED work light included
- Quick activation and adjustment of voltage
- No use instructions provided
This product is designed to be a training system combining the online support of the website, TeachMetoTattoo.com, the Tattoo Supply & Equipment Crash Course 101, the textbook Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo, a training DVD for visual tutorials, as well as the necessary hardware for learning tattooing.
This further includes exclusive membership to the website, which comes with hours of guides, video tutorials, as well as access to their forum. As such, this product is perfect for people who are just starting out as tattoo artists, to help them learn the basics and master the technique of tattoo design.
The kit contains 2 coil machines, with a .44 Magnum liner featuring 19 wrap compact coils, complete with shorty liner springs on a compact semi-cutback frame. The 0.37 Calibre shader comes with 8 wrap coils, having a wide shader Springer and a wide-angled frame.
The Hildebrandt Spartan Power Supply allows for reliable and rugged use. The needles come in a set of 10 different needle groupings, along with 2 stainless steel grips and a set of sterilised disposable tubes. Other tools include rubber bushings, tuning key set, rubber bands, O ring packs, transfer paper, and practice skin.
The tattoo ink is manufactured by Radiant Colors, and the ink set comes with 7 colours, along with ink cups packs in two sizes, an ink cup holder and a carrying case.
- Product Dimensions: 12 x 8 x 10 inches
- Product Weight: 8 Pounds
- Full training support
- Needles in groupings of 10 different types
- Liner gun is inconsistent
Wormhole Tattoo is dedicated to making tattoo art easier for users, by constantly upgrading and enhancing their features. This product is designed to be ideal for apprentices and beginners, and comes complete with tattoo machines and ink, needles, clip cord, power supply, ink caps, foot pedals, grommets and tips, O-rings, rubber bands, and the like.
The liner machine comes with a shorter front spring, making short strokes possible. Moreover, the gap between front spring and contact screw contact point is smaller. The machine frame is made of iron, and the equipment has an RPM of 6000-7200.
Read Also : Best Rotary Tattoo Machines
It is powered by copper wire coils, which are a total of 10 in number. The shader is generally slower but penetrates into deeper layers with more power.
Free replacement is provided for machines, foot pedals, and clip cord for 6 months, while that for power supply is 12 months. An online user guide is provided for setting up the system.
Each Kit Contains:
- -2 x tattoo machines for liner and shader
- -1 x tattoo power supply -1 x clip cord
- -1 x stainless steel foot pedal
- -1 x American standard power cord
- -20 x random colour 5ml tattoo inks
- -1 x blank tattoo practice skin -2 x aluminium grip
- -20 x assorted tattoo needles(5 x 3RL; 5 x 5RL; 5 x 3RS; 5 x 5RS)
- -20 x assorted disposable tattoo tips(10 x 3RT; 10 x 5RT)
- -20 x small ink cups with base (No ink cup holders are needed.)
- -20 x medium ink cups with base (No ink cup holders are needed.)
- -1 x tattoo transfer paper -1 x pair of blue nitrile gloves
- -10 x O-ring -10 x colourful rubber bands
- -10 x colorful grommets
- -1 x Allen key set (3 different sizes)
- -1 x Tattoo kit user manual
- Product Dimensions: 9.17 x 6.54 x 5.35 inches
- Product Weight: 3.13 Pounds
- Liner has an RPM of 6200-7000
- Shader penetrates deep into the skin
- Comes with replacement warranty
- Instructions are not very informative
This kit contains a single tattoo machine gun, which is easy to use and provides long lasting designs. There are a total of 25 tattoo needles and 20 rubber rings. The kit also comes with 20 rubber rings, 20 grommets, and 9 disposable tips. There are also 4 steel tips in different sizes, 2 round and 2 flat.
Each Kit Contains:
- 1 Professional Power Supply System with 1 Foot Switch and 1 Clip Cord;
- 1 Plastic ink holder: 30 Ink Cup: 5 Bottles of Tattoo Ink; (Black, Red, Yellow, Blue, Green);
- 1 Steel Grip with tube: 1 PLastic Grip with tube;
- 25 Tattoo needles（RL：3-5-9/M1：5-9,5 for each size);
- 20 Rubber Rings; 20 Grommets; 20 Rubber Bands,9 Disposable Tips;
- 4 Stainless Steel Tips In Different Sizes; (2 for Round, 2 for Flat needles): 1 Set of Adjust Tools;
- 1 Pair of glove: 1 pack of A & D Ointment: 1 Practice Skin.1 x set of brushes for cleanliness: 1 DVD(Pictures and how to tattoo)
- Product Dimensions: 6×4×4 inches
- Product Weight: 2.3 Pounds
- This product comes with 2 sets of Adjust Tools, so that working can be made easy
- Beginner-friendly system
- Tattoo ink colours are not of good quality
- Gun requires a lot of adjusting
This kit comes complete with all the important tools for getting started as a tattoo artist. There are a total of 5 machine guns, which are durable, being made of iron, with special surface treatment. They are light and the vibrations are low, allowing long hours of work.
The power is supplied by magnetic coils (10 wraps), and is better suited for beginners. The Immortal Ink tattoo ink is made in the USA and is of good quality, with a smooth appearance and is vegan-friendly. There are 50 tattoo needles, which are sterilised using ethylene oxide and packed individually. The tools are leakage and shock proof, and are safer. The power supply allows for quick and accurate activation.
Each Kit Contains:
- 9 x tattoo machines for liner and shader
- Big carry case
- 1 x tattoo power supply, 1 x clip cord, 1 x foot pedal
- 1 x American standard power cord
- 1 Set 10 bottles Immortal tattoo inks
- 1 x blank tattoo practice skin
- 2 colourful Aluminium Alloy tattoo grips(Random Color)
- 50 Pcs pre made sterile tattoo needles, assorted mixed size(3RL*10 5RL*10 7RL*5 9RL*5 5M1*10 7M1*5 9M1*5)
- 10Pcs steel tips
- Tattoo ink cups
- Tattoo-machine rubber bands
- Mixed-color grommets
- Rubber o-rings
- 1 Set of tattoo machine gun adjust tools
- Product Dimensions: 12.91 x 10.94 x 5.43 inches
- Product Weight: 8.77 Pounds
- High quality ink
- Fully sterilised tattoo needles
- Easy to use guns with low vibration and easy adjustment
- This product lacks an instruction manual and online guidance
The coil machine guns in this product are stylish and colourful, with a better design. The special frame reduces vibrations and makes the product sturdy, making this easy to use.
The colour is supplied by Immortal Ink, which is a well known brand, providing long lasting, vegan-friendly colours. The needles are made of stainless steel, and have been sterilised using ethylene oxide, and carry the necessary certification.
Read More: Best Tattoo Machines
The kit comes with a stylish travel case, with a special compartment. Both the liner and colour machines have strong power. It also comes with a practice skin, for letting the artists practice their skills.
- Product Dimensions: 12.21 x 10.4 x 4.22 inches
- Product Weight: 5.34 Pounds
- The ink is of good quality
- Fully sterilised needles
- Special frame to reduce vibrations
- Grips and screws are weak
Ideal for novices and learners, this product comes packed with three tattoo machines, one each for lining, light shading, and heavy shading. Each machine is driven by 10 wrap coils, and their combination provides long lasting designs. Apart from the machines, it also contains all the necessary items for beginners, including power supply, needles, foot pedals, tips, ink caps, tattoo ink, etc.
Also provided is complete and professional online guidance, to help you set up your kit, along with a tutorial on tattooing. The warranty period ensures full replacement across all items.
Each Kit Contains:
- 1/ 3 Pro Tattoo Machine Guns for Liner and Shader
- 2/ 1 Professional Aluminium Digital Tattoo Power Supply
- 3/ 1 Top foot pedal/Switch
- 4/ 1 Clip-cord
- 5/ 1 Set 7 bottles full colors tattoo ink, 5ml/bottle. All inks are positive colours and sterilized by gamma-ray, reliable to use
- 6/ 50 Pre made sterile tattoo needles, assorted mixed size (3RL 5RL 7RL 9RL 3RS 5RS 7RS 9RS
- 5M1 5M2)
- 7/ 2 colourful Aluminium Alloy tattoo grips(Random Color)
- 8/ 10 Different size 304 Stainless steel tattoo tips, size RL3/5 RL7/9 RL11/14 M5 M7 M9 M11 M13 M15
- 9/ 8 different size disposable Tattoo Grips (3RT 5RT 7RT 9RT 5FT 7FT 9FT 11FT)
- 10/ 50 Disposable Tattoo Tips mixed size (3RT 5RT 7RT 9RT 11RT 5FT 7FT 9FT 11FT 13FT)
- 11/ 100 Ink cup Mixed size (Large, Medium, Small)
- 12/ 1 ink Cupholder
- 13/ 1 bottle True Black Tattoo Ink (1oz/ Bottle)
- 14/ 50 Tattoo-machine rubber bands
- 15/ 50 Mixed-color grommets
- 16/ 50 Rubber o-rings
- 17/ 1 Set tattoo tip cleaning brush (5pcs per set)
- 18/ 1 Set of tattoo machine gun adjust tools (3 different sizes)
- 19/ 1 Practice skin, dual-sided & re-usable
- 20/ 2 Pcs Disposable tattoo gloves
- 21/ 1 Tattoo Machine Kit Paper Manual
- Product Dimensions: 10.63 x 8.27 x 5.51 inches
- Product Weight: 4.41 Pounds
- Complete online guidance by professionals
- One year warranty
- The guns may be slightly heavy
The tattoo machines in this product are designed for easy lining and shading, and come with upgraded brass contacts, along with frames which allow for low vibrations. They are powered by dual 10-wrap coils, and also feature a white LED work lit which is machine-mountable.
The ink colours are provided by MOMs Millennium, and there are a total of 7 bottles (½ ounce each). Ink cap holders and 150 ink caps are also provided. There are 20 round lining needles, 20 round shading needles, as well as 5 flat shading, and 5 magnum shading needles.
These work together to provide long-lasting designs. Tattoo machine cleaning brushes are also included, as is a tube of aftercare anti-scar ointment. Stencils can be transferred onto the skin by making use of spirit 4-ply thermal papers.
- Product Dimensions: 10×10×10 inches
- Product Weight: 6.96 Pounds
- Comes with LED work light
- Good quality ink colours
- Low vibration design
- Practice skin is not of good quality
- Needles are not great
Types of Tattoo Machine
Tattoo machines are the most critical part of tattoo kits and come in a variety of types, depending upon the type of use and power which is required of them.
These different types can be broadly classified into three major categories, known as the rotary type, the magnetic coil type, and the pneumatic type tattoo machines. Here we briefly describe the different types of machines available on the market.
Rotary Motored Machine
The armature of this type of machines is connected to, and powered by, a small rotating motor, which produces an up and down motion. Such types of machines make less noise as compared to others, and the movement of the needles is smooth and even for easier use.
Magnetic Coil Machine
These types of machines are classic in nature and are powered by an alternating electromagnetic current, which passes through the coils and causes the magnets to turn on and off rapidly. This in turn pulls an armature bar attached to a spring and causes up and down movement. This then leads to the armature bar tappings the needles into the skin. These machines make the characteristic noise associated with tattoo shops.
These machines are newer and were launched in 2000. They make use of air compressors which move the needles using compressed gases. They are amiable to autoclaving and are safer to use than the other types.
Apart from the machines, the tubes which attach the needles to the machine, and the needles themselves, are also equally important. The tubes are usually of stainless steel, and need to be sterilised after each use. However, many artists now prefer disposable types.
Needles are basically of the same type, with subtle differences, to distinguish the lining types from the shading types and colouring types. These needles are finely pointed and are designed to go deep into the skin to make the design long-lasting.
Best Tattoo Kits Buying Guide
While looking to purchase the perfect tattoo kit which suits your needs, there’s always a couple of things you need to keep in mind. This helps you ensure that you get the best value for your money and items of good quality in your kit.
Here we have compiled a quick guide of the important considerations while buying your tattoo kit, to help you know the things you need to check before you buy.
Check the type of tattoo machine present in the kit:
As the tattoo machine is the most important tool in your tattoo kit, knowing which type of machine is present in the kit that you’re eyeing is of utmost necessity. Generally, the rotary motor types are much more difficult to control and make more noise, as compared to the magnetic coil types. Moreover, they drill the needles deep into the skin, and the scars take much longer to heal than with the magnetic types. The pneumatic types are newer and safer to use. Also, check the quality and condition of your machine. This also applies to the accessory tools.
Check the extra items present in your kit:
When buying a tattoo kit, make sure that it contains all the important tools in addition to the tattoo machine, preferably in duplicates. These tools include the power supply, ink caps, foot pedals, and a few other types.
Check the types of tubes provided in your kit:
Tubes are mainly of two types, those made of stainless steel, and those made of disposable materials. The steel types need to be sterilised after every use, while the disposable ones are single-use.
Check the size of the machines and the needles:
Make sure that the size of the machines is manageable for you, and that the needles are fine enough for a neat and clean design.
Check the colours and quality of the ink present in the sample:
The ink is one of the most important parts of a tattoo kit, and it’s better if you know the types of colours present. Moreover, it’s good if you test the ink beforehand, to check for any allergies and note the colour produced.
Finally, check the cost of your kit:
Make sure that the product that you are eyeing gives you good value for your money. Good quality products which are designed to last are always desirable.
Q. Which type of tattoo machines are the best?
The conventional magnetic coil machines are quite powerful, but at the same time, they are more difficult to control and use. They make the noise that is associated with tattoo shops. The rotary type machines, on the other hand, are easier to use, and are much quieter. The pneumatic types are more recent, and are the safest to use.
Q. Is it better to buy a tattoo kit or to just buy the tattoo machines?
It is always better to buy a tattoo kit. This is because when you start tattooing, there are many accessory equipment you need, aside from the machines. If you just buy the machine, you will have to purchase all the add-ons separately, and run the risk of incompatibilities. However, the equipment in a tattoo kit is designed to be compatible with each other, and provide good quality.
Q. Why should I use goof quality tattoo ink?
Using ink which is of a good quality ensures that your designs are brighter and more beautiful, as well as longer-lasting. They are also much less prone to allergies and infections, and are well sterilised.
In this review, we covered some of the best Tattoo Kits available on the market, along with detailed descriptions of each. Every product on this list has some edge over others in different categories, and so, we have also included the pros and cons of each tattoo kit below their descriptions.
Read More: Best Tattoo Power Supply
We have also added a segment about the different types of tattoo machines, along with short descriptions of the needles and tubes as well. Additionally, there is also a Buyer’s Guide, to help you know what all you need to keep in mind while browsing for your perfect tattoo kit.
Finally, we have also covered some frequently asked questions, to help you clear any doubts while buying. Make sure to go through this review before you purchase your ideal tattoo kit.