The need for best tattoo aftercare products: Getting a tattoo recently and don’t know what to do next? I know it is difficult to figure out what is right when you do something for the first time. What do you think is a tattoo? It is a form of art done permanently on your skin but do you know that it is actually piercing your skin to spill the ink in the inner layers of your skin to make it permanent over the years.
The artist actually pierces the needly deeper into the skin to do this.
Think about the vulnerability of the skin when this is done. There are thousands of possibilities of scarring and infection. The aftercare products are necessary to care for your tattoo after getting one and help in the entire healing process. The tattoo artist also helps you understand the importance of aftercare products to make you aware of how and when to use them.
Any sorts of dryness, scaling, infection or wound need to be avoided after getting a tattoo so we need aftercare products to enhance the healing process, keep the colors intact and prevent any infections on the newly made tattoo.
So, now that you know the importance of aftercare products, don’t you think you should really have some right now if you are planning to get a tattoo. The tattoo should be well protected and should be given all that it needs to heal.
Don’t worry when we are here to help you out through the entire process and tell you what is necessary. There are few best products reviewed for your aid and you can absolutely trust on us to get the best products. So, let us start and get to know the best products that would absolutely serve your purpose.
Top 10 Best Tattoo Aftercare Products
Best Tattoo Aftercare Products Review
We are here to help you find the best tattoo aftercare products and there are 10 items reviewed for your aid. So, let us bump into checking the best products that you can get at a reasonable price and can also meet your expectations. The importance of aftercare is clear to you by now I guess. So, if you are planning to get a tattoo, don’t think twice about buying these products according to your needs and necessities.
The best of the products are reviewed here with proper pros and cons to help you out. Let’s start with the products.
H2O Ocean brings the First in First aid collection of blue green foam soap. It is one of the best foam soaps that you can use along for cleaning up the tattoo. It has a capacity of 1.7 oz and is absolutely antibacterial. The foam soap is vegan friendly and also free from harmful parabens.
It is one of the most reliable foam soaps that would work excellent for cleaning the tattoo area with ease and without causing any irritation or infection.
It is recommended to wash the tattoo three to four times daily and it helps to remove any dried secretions from the skin pores. It is recommended to wash with warm water and thus prevents any scabs from forming. The foam soap is antimicrobial, antifungal as well. It keeps the skin moisturized and does not cause any drying. It is made in the USA and is an extremely reliable product.
- Ingredients: Purified Water, Benzalkonium Chloride, Poloxamer 188, Aloe barbadensis Leaf Juice, Disodium EDTA, Salt.
- Product Dimensions: 1.38 x 1.38 x 5.13 inches
- Product Weight: 2.57 Ounces
- It prevents any sorts of irritation and infection as it is antimicrobial and antifungal.
- It is free from parabens and is vegan-friendly.
- The foam soap is completely fragrance free and moisturizes the skin on which it is applied.
- Quite an inexpensive variety.
- Required in a greater amount while cleaning and the quantity is not upto the mark.
- May not be suitable for all. Check the ingredients before you buy.
Aquaphor healing ointment is one of the best healing ointments famous among most of the users. It is one of the best rated healing ointment. The ointment needs to be applied on the skin immediately after getting a tattoo. It has an essential solution for major moisturization. It nourishes the skin and forms a protective covering which aids in the healing process.
It is free from any fragrance or any preservative that may pose a harmful threat to the skin. It is a 7-ounce squeeze tube and is extraordinarily made for dry, cracked and irritated skin. It is usually recommended by a dermatologist. It is hypoallergenic and free from parabens, dyes and artificial fragrances.
It is having quite a cheap price. It is a healing multipurpose ointment and can be one of your best choices.
- Ingredients: Purpose Petroleum (41%), Skin Protectant (Ointment), Mineral oil, Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycerin and Bisabolol.
- Product Dimensions: 7.8 X 5 X 20.4 cm
- Product Weight: 198 grams.
- The healing ointment is free from parabens, dyes and fragrances.
- It is a skin repairing ointment and provides moisturization.
- Quite cheap variety.
- The presence of petroleum jelly may not be preferred by all.
- May be a little greasy and difficult to remove.
Tattoo Care sunscreen is absolutely designed to act as a sun guard aftercare for the tattoo you made recently. It provides greater protection and has SPF 30+. The sunscreen not only protects the skin from the sun but also rejuvenates the skin faster and prevents the fading away of the tattoos. It is resistant to water and can be applied easily. It has a refreshing summerly smell which is one of a kind.
This sunscreen is made as a sunscreen lotion that provides a double layer on the tattoo and protects it.
The SPF 30+ acts against UVA and UVB and acts as a sun filter. It is formulated uniquely to act as a deep tissue moisturizer and protects the tattoo from cracks and dryness and retains the absolutely stunning color of the tattoo.
There are a number of natural ingredients present in the sunscreen which are bunched with nutrients and vitamins like Vitamin A and Vitamin E, which possess anti-aging and anti-oxidant properties.
It includes Cocoa butter, jojoba, bisabolol and is dermatologically tested. They are free from any parabens or allergens. Your tattoos will look absolutely crisp and fresh for years if you use this sunscreen properly. It highlights tattoo color and can resist water for about 80 minutes. It is not tested on animals and hence is cruelty-free and is extremely safe. One of the best aftercare sunscreens you can have.
- Ingredients: Aqua, Lanolin, Petroleum, Cacao Butter, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, etc.
- Product Dimensions: 4.72 X 1.73 X 1.06 inches
- Product Weight: 1.35 Ounces
- SPF 30 with UVA/UVB sun filter and provides double layered protection.
- Keeps your skin moisturized and protected.
- Has a good and refreshing smell.
- The colour of the tatto remains intact if you use this product.
- The quantity is not at par the price. It is a bit overpriced.
- May be a little greasy, sticky and has a thick texture.
It is another product by Aquaphor and this time it is a body spray ointment that is used to moisturize and heal the skin. It intensely moisturizes the skin and helps in healing the excessive dryness and roughness of the skin. It gives a radiant and healthy-looking glow to the skin. Continuous spray and can be applied evenly all over the skin.
It is dermatologically tested to relieve excessively dry skin and prevents the skin from getting dry the entire day. There are no preservatives or fragrances present and the body spray ointment is actually hypoallergenic. It is completely free from parabens and dyes and can be sprayed at the back easily. It has an extremely easy application. Shake, apply and gently rub to give a glow for the entire day.
- Ingredients: Butane, Petroleum, Mineral Oil, Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycerin, Bisabolol.
- Product Dimensions: 1.77 X 1.77 X 6.85 inches;
- Product Weight: 3.68 Ounces
- It is a body ointment spray which is absolutely great to use.
- Prevents excessive dryness and relieves irritation from dryness.
- It is free from fragrance and hypoallergenic.
- The product may be a little greasy and thick.
- A little more expensive than a few other products.
Eucerin is one of the dermatologically tested brands and produces excellent skin care products. The advanced repair lotion by Eucerin repairs the extreme dryness and provides long lasting moisturization for around 48 hours. It is lightweight on the skin and non greasy. It is a fast absorbing body lotion and enriched with the natural moisturizing factors and ceramide 3.
It is free from all the fragrances and softens and smoothes your skin to a great extent. It has a capacity of 16.9 Oz which is stunning to get at such a reasonable price. It is free from parabens and best to use after washing off the tattoo.
The dryness due to the tattoo will be completely prevented and you will get excellent results. It includes amino acids and intensively enhances the moisture content of the skin.
- Ingredients: Glycerin, Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Glucoside, Cyclomethicone, Sodium Lactate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Methylpropanediol, Octyldodecanol, Dicaprylyl Ether, Tapioca Starch, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides, Arginine HCL, Sodium PCA, Dimethiconol, Lactic Acid, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan), Carnitine, Ceramide 3, Mannitol, Serine, Sucrose, Citrulline, Glycogen, Histidine HCL, Alanine, Threonine, Glutamic Acid, Lysine HCL, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Phenoxyethanol
- Product Dimensions: 3.15 X 1.75 X 9.2 inches
- Product Weight: 1.32 pounds.
- It can actually go beyond the ceramides and can strengthen the skin’s barrier for moisture to keep the skin moisturized.
- It is fast-absorbing and nongreasy and also is a very inexpensive variety of products.
- It is a little sticky for some.
- Presence of alcohol may not be liked by all.
Viking Revolution produces excellent quality tattoo balm and it enhances faster healing of the freshly made tattoo. It soothes and moisturizes the skin to a great extent. Heal your wounds very easily with this balm. It works even great on older tattoos. It acts as a calming agent and keeps your skin soft and supple. It is completely natural and organic and totally free from any chemicals.
It has an amazing smell and you can completely trust this product for repairing the pierced skin. It protects the colors of the tattoo and reduces the redness of the skin. It is absolutely nongreasy in nature and contains beeswax which is a great ingredient to keep your skin soft. It can be one of the best choices for you.
- Product Dimensions: 1.14 x 2.87 x 2.87 inches
- Product Weight: 0.48 Ounces
- Soothes the skin and moisturizes and helps the healing process.
- Can be used for old and new tattoos as well.
- Some people may be allergic to certain ingredients. Check them before buying.
After inked is a specially made tattoo aftercare lotion which acts as a daily moisturizer and it works the same for both new and old tattoos. The new tattoos would look healthier and they are enriched with grape seed. They are non sticky and non petroleum based lotion. The texture of the lotion is lightweight, free from parabens and artificial fragrances. The lotion is vegan and free from cruelty and gluten. This lotion is actually dermatologically tested and safe to be used for all types of skin. They are non allergic and non irritant. They are made in the USA and come in a 3 oz tube. Make it a daily care routine and it will help to keep your tattoo moisturized, hydrated and prevent any sorts of scabbing. It is one of the professional varieties and can be one of the best choices for you.
- Ingredients: Aqua (water), Cetyl alcohol (Veg), Vitis vinifera (grape) seed oil, glycerin (veg), stearic acid (veg), Citrus aurantium Dulcis oil (orange), benzyl alcohol, synthetic beeswax, stearic acid, Butyrospermum parkii etc.
- Product Dimensions: 6 X 6 X 6 inches
- Product Weight: 2.5 Ounces
- Fully cruelty free and vegan and gluten free. No petroleum or paraben present.
- Most recommended aftercare lotion and is completely fragrance free.
- Presence of alcohol may not be liked by all.
- It is a bit more expensive than many other products in the list.
Hustle butter makes an amazing quality tattoo aftercare lotion that comes in a 5 oz tub. There is no presence of petroleum in the lotion. It can be used before, during and after the process of tattooing. It prepares the skin for getting a tattoo. It moisturizes and softens the skin making it supple and hydrated. It even works wonders after you get a tattoo.
It helps prevent drying and prevents infections. It keeps the skin workable and reduces any swelling, redness, bleeding and enhances the healing process. It is completely cruelty-free and absolutely vegan. It is naturally and organically prepared. It is very easy to use and apply. It helps to reduce the pain on your skin as well.
- Ingredients: Shea, Aloe butter, mango, coconut, Sunflower, Rice bran oil, Rosemary Oleoresin, Green tea, Vitamin E etc.
- Product Dimensions: 2.1 X 2.3 X 2.4 inches
- Product Weight: 5 Ounces
- You can use this tattoo butter before, during and after the tattoo making process.
- They won’t form clogged tubes or petroleum build up and are completely vegan friendly.
- One of the most expensive products in the list.
- Some people can be allergic so check the ingredients before you buy.
Mad Rabbit Tattoo balm is one of the best aftercare products which is actually the number 1 best seller product. They have a wonderful smell of frankincense and lavender. The balm helps to enhance the ink and maintains them all throughout. You can easily use them over any new or existing tattoos.
Say goodbye to the worn-out tattoos and say welcome to the rejuvenated one. This balm helps to bring back the color of the tattoos and refreshes them. They help to brighten up the tattoo.
They are completely cruelty-free and soothes the skin. They protect and moisturize the skin to a great extent. It works absolutely fine on all skin and ink colors. It contains shea butter that penetrates deeper into the skin and prevents cracks and dried skin. The beeswax actually hydrates and rejuvenates the skin.
Cocoa butter acts as a protective barrier to hold the moisture content of the skin and has an anti-aging factor. The calendula oil present is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.
The frankincense reduces the presence and appearance of wrinkles, scars and heals minor wounds. The sweet almost oil protects the skin from harmful UV rays of the sun and the lavender has antioxidants and is anti-inflammatory.
- Ingredients: Shea Butter, Beeswax, Cocoa butter, calendula oil, frankincense, lavender (Rich in antioxidants) and sweet almond oil (Vitamin E).
- Product Dimensions: 2.48 x 2.32 x 1.34 inches
- Product Weight: 2.4 Ounces
- Revives the old worn out tattoos as well.
- It can be easily used for the new as well as existing tattoos. It is fully vegan and cruelty free.
- This tattoo balm preserves the depth of the tattoos and keeps them vibrant and retains the colours.
- Some people may not like the fragrance it has.
- Smaller size as compared to the pricing. It is quite an expensive variety.
The perfect Tattoo butter for aftercare by Melao is one of the best aftercare products that you would love to use. The size of the container is 5 ounces and the tattoo butter is one of a kind. It can be used before, during or after the tattooing. Before getting a tattoo if you use this, then it prepares the skin to get a tattoo. It makes the skin soft and supple.
They do not clog pores or buildup petroleum, instead, they keep the skin workable. This reduces redness, swelling, bleeding and enhances the healing process. It is fully vegan and is completely cruel free and is free from petroleum and paraben. It is very easy to use and apply. It prevents any sorts of irritation on the skin and is 100 percent natural.
It brightens up the skin and keeps it rejuvenated. It is an all-rounder and nourishes the skin deeply. They ultimately provide deep nourishment and moisturization to the skin. This product can be one of the best choices for you.
- Ingredients: Shea, Aloe butter, mango, coconut, sunflower, rice bran oil, Green tea, Vitamin E, Rosemary Oleoresin, Argan + Lemon oil, melao buttercream etc.
- Product Dimensions: 3.5 x 3.43 x 1.65 inches
- Product Weight: 5.61 Ounces
- You can easily use this tattoo butter before, during and after tattooing. They also help to prepare the skin to get a tattoo.
- It helps to reduce redness, swelling or bleeding from the skin after tattooing.
- It helps to soothe the skin and is completely organic in nature.
- It is little on the expensive side of the product and should check the ingredients for allergic reaction otherwise it may be itchy.
The Ways To Take Care Of Tattoo:
- Cover the tattoo: After the tattoo is made the artist should actually be putting a thin layer of antibiotic over the skin where the tattoo is made. Then it should be gently wrapped with a bandage or any plastic. Any external contact can be avoided with this. It prevents bacterial infection and irritation and as per the recommendation of the tattoo artist, keep on dressing the area which is actually bound for a few hours or so. The excess ink in the tattoo will gradually be absorbed and the area would not be vulnerable anymore.
- Wash off the tattoo gently: After those hours of dressings, it is absolutely recommended to wash off the area gently. First, remove the cover and then wash your hands properly with soap. Wash off the area with warm water gently and soap recommended for this purpose. Pat the skin dry and then apply lotion, balm or moisturizer to prevent the area from getting dried and scaly.
- Wait for the healing process: Wait for the entire healing process. While healing does not forget to wear sun-protective clothing safely over a tattoo while going out and in case any infections are there consult your doctor immediately. Never ever scratch or pick the skin, do not wear tight clothes over that. There can be side effects like infection, allergic reaction or scarring after you are having a tattoo. So, giving it time to heal and taking care of it, should be the most important part of getting a tattoo.
Different Types of Tattoo Aftercare Products
Tattoo aftercare products are extremely necessary for taking care of the tattoo that you have made on your skin. The tattoo is more like an open wound that absolutely needs special care and that is why there are a plethora of products that can be used as aftercare products. Let us check-in details that different types of tattoo aftercare products present.
These types of tattoo aftercare products are very crucial for freshly made tattoos or tattoos that have been made for a long time. You need to retain the color, the shine of the tattoo then the balm is the perfect thing you should use. They soften and moisturize the skin. The balms prevent inflammation and itching and hydrate the skin. The balms prevent the skin from getting flaky and keeps the tattoo absolutely vibrant. Applying balm two to three times a day can be extremely effective.
Moisturizers are generally used over dry skins to prevent the formation of scales and also keep the skin supple and soft. Hydration is very much necessary for the healing process of any wound. Though the wound needs to dry up, still moisturizing it sometimes enhances the entire process. The same is the case with the tattoo. It is used to prevent cracking and bleeding. The moisturizers need to be applied at least 3 to 6 times on the skin.
The lotion used over the tattoo should be such that it can be easily applied over the tattoo and the lotion would prevent any sorts of infection over the tattoo and also keep away from irritation. It aids the healing process by repairing the tattoo wounds and there are repair and maintenance lotions available for this purpose.
Ointments should actually be applied over the tattoo and wrapped with a bandage or some plastic after instant preparation. This is done in order to prevent the tattoo from developing any bacterial infection. After the application of ointments for a few days, you can switch to lotion.
It is best for the tattoo if you can easily protect it from the sun. The burns, wrinkles and fading that can actually damage the tattoo can be easily protected by the sunscreen to a great extent. Moreover, it can prevent skin damage and tanning.
The foam soaps are actually specially prepared for the purpose of the application over the freshly prepared tattoo. You definitely need to clean the area of the tattoo to remove any secretions from the skin and prevent the development of any bacteria. It also helps reduce inflammations and stinging.
Apart from the various types of products like balm, moisturizer, foam soap, ointment etc. present in the list, there are multiple other products that are actually there to particularly act over some points of problems of the tattoo. Like special repairing cream, or tattoo butter and many more. These are actually the most vital types of tattoo care products which should form classifications and the application of them can actually be enough for the skin of the people.
Best Tattoo Aftercare Products Buyer’s Guide
When you have to buy tattoo aftercare products, you should be well aware of the specifications that you should search before hopping into buying a tattoo aftercare product. There are certain points that you should keep in mind before buying any product. You have to figure out the type of aftercare product you want and then make the decision accordingly. So let us check the specifications that are important to consider before buying any aftercare product:
Check which type of aftercare product you want
It is extremely important to understand the exact aftercare product that you want to buy. Whether you want to buy a lotion or a balm, or foam soap or bandages or any other product that you exactly want. The specifications should be checked accordingly. If you want to buy a lotion or a balm then that should be best if it is alcohol-free and is hydrating over the skin. It should moisturize and should help in the healing process. If you want to buy a foam soap then it is better if it is artificial fragrance-free and is nonirritant over the skin. So, check the exact product you want to buy and see the specifications accordingly.
Check for the ingredients present and longevity
Whether you are buying sunscreen or a lotion or a balm or any other aftercare product, you need to take care of the ingredients present in it. In case the ingredients can cause irritation on the skin then that should be absolutely avoided. The SPF level in sunscreen should be checked. Moreover, the longevity of the products on the skin should also be checked. If you do not know the amount of time it will stay on the skin then there will be a delay in the application and the area may be left dried or may form infections without proper products.
Skin type should be checked
Checking the skin type is one of the most essential criteria for buying aftercare products. There are people with normal, dry and oily skin types. Not all products are suitable for all skin types and there are people with highly sensitive skin and they would never prefer to have a product that would have an adverse effect on the skin. The aftercare products should be such that they can be mild and soothing on the tattoos to help them heal soon and not cause any sorts of troubles. But the product, if it does not match with the skin type then it may degrade the process of healing and can have a damaging effect on the skin. Check if you are allergic to any ingredient of the aftercare product and is not suitable for the skin type.
Check the price of your product
Nothing is beyond your pocket. Always make sure that you spend the amount of money that would not cause you trouble. There are good products which are cheap. So, the quality and the quantity are what matters the most. Be sure about the pricing and then go for the product.
Q. Is aftercare a must after getting a tattoo?
When you are going for a tattoo you should know that the tattoo artist will make a tattoo by piercing your skin with a needle so that the ink gets into the inner layers of your skin. So, piercing a skin obviously forms an open wound which makes them extremely vulnerable and prone to infections, scarring and many more problems. If you really want to take care of the situation then you should absolutely do an aftercare to keep the tattoo healthy, fine and help it heal soon. Not all people have the similar kind of skin and some may be extremely sensitive, so taking care of the tattoo is a must for them. There are few steps you should follow to prevent any infection and to enhance the entire healing process.
Q. When should the application of lotion be done?
The application of lotion is a part of the aftercare of the tattoo. The lotion is extremely necessary to take care of your skin and prevent drying. There are skin repair lotions as well that will enhance the entire healing process and prevent scaling. When the bandage over the freshly made tattoo will be first removed, the first thing that you need to do is wash it off gently with warm water and tattoo safe soap. After that some people would suggest you to apply ointment and then start putting lotion after 3 days from which the tattoo is made and there are people who would suggest you to apply it just after washing the place. It depends on your skin type and the amount of vulnerability. So, keeping everything in mind, remember that keeping the skin hydrated and moisturized is utmost important to keep the skin in good health.
Q. What is the first thing we should do if the tattoo starts itching?
There are absolutely certain ways which you can undertake to calm your skin while you experience excessive itching and the best way to avoid the itching is to apply some lotion or balm over the skin. There are antihistamines which can be taken to reduce any irritation on the skin, swelling or redness. You have to apply something on the tattoo that would moisten and soften the skin and prevent the itching or irritation. Never ever start itching the tattoo area, it may be hazardous to the skin.
Congratulations on making it to the end. We are really overwhelmed that our article could be enough engaging and informative for you, that you read through it. If you are still being confused about whether to read or not, then this is high time you should absolutely read this because this will give you a perfect and vivid idea about what you would do to care for your tattoo after getting one. Remember that it is not the price that can buy everything. Even some cheaper products can be extremely useful and productive.
If you are going to get your first tattoo soon or getting another tattoo for which you are searching for the best aftercare products then this is the best place you have come to. Get your lovely tattoo today and buy the stuff needed to suffice the purpose of proper aftercare. The reviews are provided to you to make you understand the best product that you can have. There are multiple other products but we have provided you the top list of products.
Trust us and go buy today! Take care of your tattoo to make it less vulnerable and you can enjoy the feeling of having a great tattoo. All the best and happy tattooing!